The KVDDS is made up of over 200 dentists, serving the communities in Allegan, Kalamazoo, & VanBuren Counties. Our members have come from across the nation, graduates of over 20 different Dental School programs, to live in and serve the communities of southwestern Michigan. Our society stresses service to the community, commitment to excellence, adherence to the ethical conduct, and to advancing dental health, dental education, and the needs of our patients.
Dentists in the area now served by the Kalamazoo Valley District Dental Society were originally part of the Southwestern Dental Society, which also included Battle Creek area dentists. About 1950-51, dentists in the Kalamazoo area split off from Southwestern to form the Kalamazoo Valley Dental Society [the “District” in KVDDS was added later as additional outlying areas were incorported into the society]. Dr J. Robert Short was elected to serve as transitional President of the evolving society which at the time had approximately 50 members. Dr. Thomas Howson served as Secretary/Treasurer.
Dr. Frank Heath was elected as first President of the newly formed K.V.D.S. in 1952. The current organization was Incorported as KVDDS in 1962 with amendments approved in 1989 and the Constitution & Bylaws were amended in 1992. The Gutta Percha Clarion, the newsletter of the KVDDS, was established in the early 1960s by Dr. Stuart Ward.